Everything we know about Call of Duty: Cold War and Warzone Season 3
What’s on the horizon for Call of Duty: Cold War and Warzone Season 3? Well, it’s technically already started. When you launch both games you’ll see a Season 3 splash screen and the new battle pass, but we’re currently limited to the Rebirth Island playlist in Warzone while we wait for the nuke event to wrap up and introduce us to the new map.
Following the Destruction of Verdansk live events, there’s lots to look forward to in the new season, including new weapons, limited time modes, and maps. Activision has outlined most of what’s to come, so let’s dive right in. Here’s everything we know about Call of Duty: Cold War and Warzone Season 3.
When is the Call of Duty: Cold War and Warzone Season 3 release date?
The Call of Duty: Cold War and Warzone Season 3 launched on April 21-22 at 9pm PT / 12am ET/ 5am BST. While we can’t hop into the new playlists and map in Warzone at present, we should be able to access the new season properly after the live events in Warzone conclude on April 22 at 1pm PT/ 4pm ET/ 9pm BST.
Season Three will begin 24 hours later at 9PM PT April 21 / 12AM April 22!Watch for full patch notes tomorrow with details on everything coming at the launch of the season in #BlackOpsColdWar.April 20, 2021
Warzone map and event
Warzone Season 3 new map: What’s happening to Verdansk?
After months of waiting, we’re finally witnessing the Destruction of Verdansk. The Warzone live events have been split into separate sessions from April 21-22. So far, we’ve seen the Destruction of Verdansk Part 1, and have hopped into Rebirth Island to experience its night mode. Players have also discovered an Easter egg here that reveals the phrase: “Rebirth from the ashes”.
We’ve seen plenty of leaks and rumours suggesting that the new Warzone map will give Verdansk a 1980s makeover, which now appears to be true. The 1984 Verdansk map was briefly playable in private lobbies until Raven put a stop to it. From what’s been seen so far, it looks as though the Gulag has been replaced by Black Ops 2’s Standoff map, the Stadium is under construction, and there are now towering radio array and underground mines on the map.
New Warzone event: Hunt for Adler
Finally tying Warzone and Cold War together in a neat little bow, this event kicks off alongside the launch of Season 3. It challenges us to complete challenges in Black Ops – Cold War and Warzone to find where Adler is. Weapon Charms, Calling Cards, an exclusive Adler Operator Skin, and more are all up for grabs in this LTM.
Cold War/ Warzone Season 3 roadmap
Are new Cold War & Warzone Season 3 weapons on the way?
We suspected that new weapons were on the way, but Activision has now confirmed which firearms we’ll be experimenting with in the new season. The new Cold War and Warzone Season 3 weapons are:
- PPSh-41 SMG: Available launch week.
- Swiss K31 sniper rifle: Available launch week.
- Ballistic Knife: Available later on in the season (Warzone only).
- CARV.2 tactical rifle: Available later on in the season.
- AMP63 pistol: Available later on in the season.
- Baseball bat: Available later on in the season.
Cold War Season 3 Operators
This season we’ll be greeting three new operators, and a friendly face:
- Wraith: Warsaw Pact – Available launch week.
- Captain Price: Available launch week (coming to Warzone and Cold War).
- Knight: Warsaw Pact – Available later on in the season.
- Antonov: Warsaw Pact – Available later on in the season.
Cold War Multiplayer modes, maps, and scorestreak
Two new Outbreak modes
- Sticks & Stones: Each player spawns with the R1 Shadowhunter crossbow, Ballistic Knife, and a Tomahawk. Earn points by scoring kills with the Ballistic Knife and R1 Shadowbunter, and kill enemies with the Tomahawk to reduce their score. Available launch week.
- Multi-team eliminations: Similar to Warzone’s battle royale setting, this is a last-team-standing experience on Cold War’s largest maps. Multiple teams of four will fight to survive encroaching radiation zones. Available later on in the season.
Fresh Outbreak maps
There are four new multiplayer maps coming to Cold War this season:
- Yamantau 6v6: Available launch week.
- Diesel 6v6 and 2v2: Available launch week.
- Standoff 6v6: Available later on in the season.
- Duga (Multi-team): Available later on in the season.
A devastating new Cold War scorestreak
Strafe Run is a new Cold War scorestreak, arriving in Season 3’s launch week. This mid-tier scorestreak lets you call in a couple of jet fighters to shoot enemies in the field. They can even launch rockets, so its worth refreshing your loadouts and trying them out before hopping into matches.
Outbreak continues with a new region, field upgrade, and vehicles
New region: Duga
The new Duga area takes us to the Ural Mountains and there will be plenty to keep us busy. Expect new audio logs, radio transmissions, and other intel, along with some hidden artifacts.
Toxic Growth is Outbreak’s new field upgrade. The device lets you summon a deadly growth of toxic thorns in front of your Operator. It also inflicts toxic damage and slows enemies’ movement speed by 50 percent. This item can be upgraded to give it additional damage, multiple charges, and make enemies explode.
Outbreak’s vehicles will both be available at launch and each plays a unique function in the Ural Mountains. One vehicle is best for when you want to stay with your squad and avoid the most challenging enemies, whereas the other is better suited to quick getaways:
- Cargo Truck: Strictly for Multi-Team modes on maps like Alpine, Golova, Ruka, and Duga.
- FAV: A high-speed vehicle that lets you race around the map.
Will we need a DeLorean fitted with a flux capacitor to get to 1980s Verdansk?
This would be very cool, especially since Cold War already has a Back to the Future-inspired map. However, I think the zombies/nuke event event will get us where we need to be without the help of Doc Brown’s marvellous invention.